VR Music Video Development Part 3: Different Scenes

Given that the vibe of the song gives off 3 distinct atmospheres, I wanted to create scenes that represented each vibe that the viewer would go through. This included the main floating island area during the day for the start of the song, an underwater segment when the song sounded muffled, and then an edited version of the floating islands at night for when the song winds down at the end.

With the creation of each scene, there were elements that each needed to work and look correctly. Most heavily needed were custom shaders for the underwater segment, as well as some other areas. After some researching online, and switching my project over to use URP, I was able to create a few shaders that served my purposes. One major one emulated a caustic system, allowing for better-looking water, as well as an urate portrayal of the underwater segment. Besides the caustics, I also created a shader for my seaweed in the underwater segment to make it sway in the water.

Example of one of the shaders I made

For the night time scene, I wanted to have a heavier focus on lighting, adding in a campfire and fireflies as sources for the point lights. For the fireflies to look right, I used a particle system, creating a few key points for them to spawn at. Besides the lighting for the campfire, I also used a custom shader for the actual flame to make it look more animated and accurate.

Overall I really enjoy the vibes of all 3 scenes, and now just need a way to time them right throughout the duration of the song.