Final Major Project – Part 1: Making a Game

So my final year as a uni student has begun.

For this module, we are tasked with creating a fully-fledged VR experience alongside others in a group effort, hoping to eventually present the pieces to others. To start, we are pitching our own ideas for what we want to do, in hopes of convincing other people to hop on board our projects and work with us to make them happen.

Immediately I knew I wanted to make a game. Gaming in VR is what drove me to take the subject, and finally being able to make a full game of decent quality would be a great opportunity. As someone with a pretty creative and random mind, I have a big notes page on my phone of story/game ideas that I’ve always wanted to develop at some point. So I turned my attention to all of those and found the idea I wanted to push.

To begin, I narrowed down a few elements of what I wanted to come from the experience:

• I wanted the game to have a narrative. Many VR games fall into the trap of being glorified arcade games or tech demos without a proper story to make them truly great.

• I wanted to make a puzzle game. Since this was my first time working with a team, I wanted to work with a genre that is somewhat easier to refine into a game in some regards. Not to mention a puzzle based game is easy to present to audiences.

• I wanted to use AI art generation. I’ve watched a lot of videos on how AI art is changing how a lot of game dev elements function. As such, I wanted to embrace that, and find a way to use programs like DALL-E in the game development process.

I had the core ideas down, and a premise I had somewhat written out, but I spent a few weeks working on it, getting a proper presentation ready to show off.